CPDLC is a two-way datalink system by which controllers can transmit non urgent 'strategic messages to an aircraft as an alternative to voice communications. The message is displayed on a flight deck visual display.
The CPDLC application provides air-ground data communication for the ATC service. It enables a number of data link services (DLS) that provide for the exchange of communication management and clearance/information/request messages which correspond to voice phraseology employed by air traffic control procedures.
The controllers are provided with the capability to issue ATC clearances (level assignments, lateral deviations/vectoring, speed assignments, etc), radio frequency assignments, and various requests for information.
The pilots are provided with the capability to respond to messages, to request/receive clearances and information, and to report information. A “free text” capability is also provided to exchange information not conforming to defined formats.
BENEFITS OF DATALINK COMMUNICATION
1. Improved safety: Datalink communication allows pilots to receive and transmit important information, such as weather updates and traffic alerts, which can help prevent accidents and incidents.
2. Enhanced efficiency: Datalink communication allows pilots to receive real-time updates on flight plans and airspace restrictions, which can help reduce delays and increase overall efficiency.
3. Enhanced situational awareness: Datalink communication provides pilots with access to a wide range of data, including radar information, weather reports, and other important information that can help improve situational awareness.
4. Improved communication: Datalink communication allows pilots to communicate with air traffic control and other pilots using text messages, which can be more efficient and easier to understand than voice communication.
5. Cost savings: Datalink communication can help reduce the need for expensive ground-based communication infrastructure, such as VHF radios, which can result in significant cost savings for airlines and other operators.